As cases of the highly-contagious Delta variant of COVID-19 rise in North Carolina, Foothills Regional Commission remains committed to supporting our Isothermal region. Below you will find links to relevant information about the virus and to resources available to individuals and businesses. Please stay safe in this trying time.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention signed an order Aug. 3 temporarily halting evictions in areas with substantial or high COVID-19 transmission rates. This includes all four Foothills Regional Commission counties. The order can be found here.
- On July 23, the NC Dept. of Health and Human Services urged all unvaccinated North Carolinians age 12 and older to get a COVID-19 vaccine as North Carolina experiences a rapid increase in COVID-19 spread among those who are unvaccinated. Information about accessing vaccines in your area can be found here.
- To receive regular local COVID alerts via text message, text your zip code to 888777
- For North Carolina updates, visit the NC Dept. of Health and Human Services website
- For national updates, visit the Centers for Disease Control website
- For international information, visit the World Health Organization COVID-19 Resource Page
- If you are looking to file for Unemployment Insurance, please note that you can file via phone (888-737-0259), or online.
Foothills Regional Commission’s “Back to Work” Webinar Recording
Click here to view the recording of Foothills Regional Commission’s “Back to Work” Webinar held on May 7. This webinar featured Ruth Krystopolski of Atrium Health, Josh Carpenter of EDPNC, Freddie Killough of Marion Business Association, William Kehler of McDowell Emergency Services, and Steve Garrison Rutherford County Manager.
Resources Discussed in the Webinar:
- Atrium Health Business Resources for COVID-19
- Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina – Links to Mountain BizWorks and North Carolina Unemployment
- CDC’s Ongoing Mitigation Guidance
- Marion Business Association
- McDowell Chamber of Commerce – COVID-19 Business Reopening Toolkit
- North Carolina Pandemic Unemployment Assistance
- CDC Resources COVID-19 and Cooling Centers
- WNC COVID-19 Legal Hotline
WNC COVID-19 Legal Help
Individuals with low-incomes who need legal assistance can call:
- Pisgah Legal Services at 1-800-489-6144 during regular business hours or apply online for assistance anytime.
- Legal Aid of North Carolina at 1-866-219-LANC (5262) or apply online.
Pisgah Legal Services and Legal Aid of NC provide free civil legal aid to North Carolinians living in poverty who have a legal problem related to meeting their basic needs.
Individuals who do not qualify for free services through Pisgah Legal or Legal Aid of NC can call the NC Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-662-7660 for a 30-minute legal consultation for $50 or seek help with their legal question through NC Free Legal Answers at www.nc.freelegalanswers.org.
NC Department of Health and Human Services Prevent and Protect Media Toolkit
Click here to view the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services “Prevent and Protect” media toolkit, which includes:
- Social media graphics in English and Spanish answering basic questions about wearing coverings over the mouth and nose. Images used in the graphics reflect the diversity of North Carolina.
- Posters for businesses and community organizations to print and hang that remind people to wear cloth coverings over their nose and mouth and celebrate the commitment businesses in your community have made to protect employees and customers. We encourage you to place the posters in your breakrooms, waiting rooms, building entrances or doors, and other frequented locations.
Call North Carolina 2-1-1
NC 2-1-1 is an information and referral service that families and individuals can call to obtain free and confidential information on health and human services resources within their community. NC 2-1-1 operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year and resources are available in most languages.
County-Specific Resource Pages
- Cleveland County Government
- Cleveland County Public Health Department
- Cleveland County Chamber of Commerce
- Cleveland County Economic Development
- Cleveland County Animal Control
- McDowell County Government
- Foothills Health District – McDowell County
- McDowell Chamber of Commerce
- McDowell County Economic Development
- McDowell County Animal Control
- Polk County Government
- Polk County Health Department
- Carolina Foothills Chamber of Commerce
- Polk County Economic Development
- Polk County Animal Control