Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a program in Rutherford County that works to make walking and bicycling to school safer and to encourage more students and families to use these modes where possible.
Supported by funding from the NC Department of Transportation and RHI Legacy Foundation, the initiative prioritizes safety and skills education, health messages, family and community safety, and community design.
Through the SRTS grant, the RPO is able to offer a variety programs for local schools and organizations, including, but not limited to, the following:
- Let’s Go NC
- National Walk, Bike & Roll to School Day
- Walking School Bus
- Bike Rodeos
- Bike Trains
- Remote Drop-Off or Park & Walk
- Mileage Clubs and Contests
The resources below offer a wealth of information about walking, biking, area parks and trails, and the SRTS program.
- Rutherford Outdoor Coalition
- Thermal Belt Rail Trail
- Forest City Parks & Recreation
- Spindale Parks & Recreation
- Rutherfordton Trails
State and National Resources
- Safe Routes Partnership
- National Center for Safe Routes to School
- Watch For Me NC
- NC Safe Routes to School program
Jerry Stensland, Project Manager